I am not going to say that I hated 2016, it wasn’t all bad. Each year has its own peaks and valleys and 2016 had just that.
These aren’t in order, but they are the awesome things that happened in 2016!
- Saw some great theatre productions with friends and family.
- Attended many Blue Jackets, Browns and Ohio State games.
- Watched amazing CAVS & Indians games from home.
- Cleaned out one office and set up another.
- Painted a few pictures on my own.
- Tried lots of new food & made lots of new recipes, along with embracing Samantha’s vegetarian diet.
- Traveled. A lot.
- Had lots of friends visit from out of town.
- Had some awesome experiences with old friends; camping, IKEA, Put-In-Bay and bonfires.
- Went to my 20 year high school reunion with a long time high school friend.
- Rekindled a relationship with my high school best friend and her family.
- Samantha started her senior year of high school.
- Re-did Samantha’s bedroom with a lot of help from friends.
- Made new friendships that I am cherishing.
- Knocked some things off my bucket list as well, Cleveland Orchestra on the 4th of July, Cleveland Oktoberfest & Christkindl in Chicago.
2016 had its own challenges and those help mold me into a better person and work to make strides in 2017.
I have set some goals for 2017, but they are achievable if I set my mind to it.
- Open savings account.
- Start to pay off old debt and improve my credit score.
- Stop spending unnecessarily.
- Fix other financial obligations.
- Walk 3-4 times a week (more than just walking Pippa).
- Improve health problems with eating better and drinking more water.
- Find a parish I like and attend mass more often.
- Improve relationships to make them meaningful and beneficial to both parties.
- Spend time with my mom more.
- Reconcile my relationship with my dad.
- Read 12 books.
- Cook more at home vs eating out.
- Celebrate small successes and don’t focus on failures.
- Face my problems, not bury them.
- Volunteer more.
One thing I realized this past year is that I love people, always have. Yet I have been semi-successful in realizing I can’t make everyone happy, so why try?
People don’t make me happy. I make me happy. In order to make myself happy, I need to work on me. Samantha is off to college in 2017, so if I can’t enjoy being with myself, there will a lot of lonely time.
Here are a few of my favorite pictures from 2016, the ones that make me smile the most.
May you have a wonderful end to 2016 and join me in my journey through an honest and intentional 2017.